Thursday, July 05, 2007

TRANSFORMERS


I love summer blockbusters. Love 'em. The bigger the better; the more audacious, the more enjoyable. I loved INDEPENDENCE DAY, I like the SPIDER-MAN movies, and I actually liked THE LAST ACTION HERO.

In terms of a being a successful summer blockbuster, TRANSFORMERS does a couple of things right: First, it has giant robots. And second, it's directed by Michael Bay. Now, I'm not a huge Bay fan, but the guy knows how to direct an action picture. BAD BOYS 2, for me, is a sublime exercise in insanity. The epitome of audacious. When the Cannes Film Festival gave David Cronenberg's CRASH a special prize for "Audacity" in 1996, they would have been well-served to pony up a second award a decade later for BAD BOYS 2.

TRANSFORMERS looks amazing and it sounds amazing, but it never really connected with me the way ARMAGEDDON did, or THE ROCK did, or BAD BOYS 2 did. This is not say that these are great movies... but they ARE great summer blockbusters.

Many think Michaal Bay is evil, that he represents everything that's wrong with contemporary filmmaking. Not me, baby. I say keep 'em coming. If he want's to make THUNDERCATS or THE HERCULOIDS next, I'm first in line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker