Thursday, May 17, 2007

What I'm doing...

Just a quick update to list the various activities I'm involved with right now. Not so much for your edification, but rather to catalog my thoughts and prioritize my priorities.

-I'm currently writing a new draft of ATTACK OF THE SPACE CHICKENS, which will be my next foree into feature filmmaking. Scott Kittredge is of course directing, and the process of the re-write is going pretty well. Scott's offered up his "director's notes", and has some sound ideas -- a couple of beauts actually. He didn't like a new opening scene I had created, but that's OK. Nobody's perfect.

-I'm doing some freelance writing for a local producer that I'm somewhat enjoying. It's paying work, and rather mindless, but I get to excerise my writing chops in a medium that I need to stay sharp in... namely corporate/industrial work. I need to finish up tonight, though.

-Still working on FEED YOUR CREW, my low budget filmmaking book. It's slow going, what with my other writing chores right now, but it's always there, tucked away in my mind and in a folder called "Blog_Book". I'm going to publish the sucker. You'll see.

-The Springfield SIMPSONS MOVIE project is slowly moving along. I'm involved in a writing capacity with the project and it will, I think, prove to be very fulfilling. Check out the City Of Spfld's site for more info on this one.

-The children's movie I was working on last year, BUBBLE TRUBBLE, is ramping up again, with principal photography beginning in late June. I'm no longer producing the project, but the filmmakers have been contacting me with calls for aid in rounding up some people/gear. I'm happy to help them and wish them luck with the show.

-Buddy Bob Stock is beginning pre-pro on a new feature film, a follow up to his debut feature, ANGEL'S BLADE. Bob's a great guy, with more ambition and follow through than most people I know. He plans on producing three films this year and I plan to help him in any way I can.

-School is over right now, with final grades due next week, so I need to wade through the scripts my students had written. Some good stuff there, but lots of work to get through them.

-Buddy Jeff Allard has forwarded me the second draft of his new screenplay, THE TRICK OR TREATERS. I enjoyed his first draft enough, and he assures me this rewrite is even better. I'll be reading it this weekend. Jeff's got a great MySpace page that he updates frequently. I recommend you give it a visit.

-Sunday is Game 3 for my over-30 baseball league's team, the Royals. We're 2-0 and facing the Indians, the only other undefeated team in the league. We're playing at Asnuntuck College on Sunday afternoon (4:00). I hear they have a short porch in right; I'm considering batting lefty.

Hmmm. I guess that's about it. I like having a list of things to look at periodically. Makes me feel like I'm being productive.

Back to the kids, I think I hear Zoe playing with the garbage disposal again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If At First You Don’t Succeed; Make A Sequel!

A few days before Halloween 2006, I was invited by a friend to take in the premier/screening of a new film, “ANGEL’S BLADE.” I knew I was in trouble when I noticed that the lead character “Angel” (OLIVIA ANDRUNIK) appeared to be a poor rip-off of “Samara Morgan” (Daveigh Chase) from “The Ring.”

Heave into the mix, B-Horror movie regulars RAINE BROWN (“Barricade”, “Aunt Rose” & “Satan's Playground” www.rainebrown.com) and JOE ZASO (“Barricade,” “Demon Resurrection” & “Nikos” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Zaso); I knew I was in for an evening of seat squirming and uncontrollable yawning. It’s not that Brown and Zaso are particularly bad actors; it’s just that their performances tend to be predictable and un-inspired.

Writer/Director ROBERT STOCK appears to have no real vision or understanding of filmmaking and/or the storytelling process, as we are pounded with scenes that really seem to make no sense or serve no purpose to the plot.

“ANGEL’S BLADE” is rife with amateurish CGI FX, gratuitous nudity and sub-standard acting (especially from unknowns WALLY VALENTI and ANTONIO SAILLANT).

However, two aspects serve as a refreshing oasis within this desert of banality. First, is the beautiful and artistic cinematography of the notable WILLIAM GOVE (“The Apostate” & “Over The River”) and second is the standout performance by newcomer TOM DETRIK (“Judy Goose” & “The Wish,” www.detrik.com). His dry wit, timing and sexual presence made his portrayal of the clichéd “Backseat Lothario” turned entrails into a much-needed respite of enjoyment. Add the fact that he is not unpleasant to look at and I think we may have a star in the making.

If you should come across this “opus,” see it only for the last two “aspects” stated above. As for the rest of this film, bring a good book.

I fear the sequel can and will only be worse!

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker