Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Reading Material

Two new books will be published this summer that have me salivating. Now, if you know me, you know about my... well, let's just say my book fetish. I have a deep seated compulsion for collecting books. It's not quite an obsession, but I do return from every vacation or business trip with about 10-20 new books culled from the various used book stores I seek out when out of the area. Many of these books, of course, end up unread for months or years, but I'm always reading at least a books at a time, so I'm constantly trying to catch up.

In July, my time will be sparse because Tim Lucas is FINALLY releasing his book on Italian director Mario Bava, ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK. Lucas is the offical Bava biographer, and his tome will be the first, middle and last words on the man. Tim has been promising the book for years (I pre-ordered mine at least three years ago), but, as he explains on his blog here, IT EXISTS.

The second highly anticipated book is Mike Dobbs' ESCAPE! HOW ANIMATION BROKE INTO THE MAINSTREAM IN THE 1990's. Mike a good friend of mine, and I respect him both as a writer and a animation historian (I actually respect him for many things, but those two jump to mind). For years, he has been regarded as one of THE voices in the world of animation -- as a columnist and as a publisher; Mike was the editor/publisher of two national magazines, ANIMATO! and ANIMATION PLANET, both of which I have near complete runs of.

Find out all about Mike's new project on one of his many blogs, links to which can be found here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker