Friday, January 06, 2012

2012 Viewing Journal #3

"Limitless"
Shot in a stunning 2.40:1 aspect ratio, using gorgeously stylized shooting and post techniques, this shallow little beauty runs out of steam halfway through the second act, but it's still a keeper. I don't think the movie knows if it's about addiction or capitalism or Russian loan sharks, but I guess it doesn't really matter. The final fifteen minutes are dramatically satisfying, but supremely irresponsible filmmaking - which leaves me hoping the movie is about capitalism and Russian loan sharks.

"In Time"
For some reason, this movie and 'Limitless' seem a high concept couple. Perhaps it was their proximity in release, or maybe the fact that both male leads were supposedly up for the role of 'Green Lantern'. More likely they just represent Hollywood's ability to develop narratives easily explained in six words or less. Whatever the reason, the movie is a ludicrous joke of a brilliant concept. No wonder Harlan Ellison dropped his case after having seen it.


"Drive"
While deceptively simple in plot, 'Drive' packs a nut cruncher of a narrative. I was 40 minutes when I realized little had happened, but I was confident I was in the hands of a director who knew what he was doing. It reminded me of Michael Mann's 'Manhunter' and William Friedkin's 'To LIve and Die in LA', though that may just have been the Wang Chung-ian soundtrack. A fabulous, fabulous crime drama.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shawn Fumo said...

Good to have you back! I really haven't been able to see as many movies lately as I used to, though I did just see Ghost Protocol and was pretty entertaining..

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker