Wednesday, January 25, 2006

MPAA accused of Piracy








Hysterical.

A man makes a movie about the MPAA. About the system, and specifically about the NC-17 rating.

The movies gets rated NC-17 by the board.

Now, it turns out, the MPAA made an illegal copy of the movie. And the director is calling them out for piracy.

Generally speaking, I very much like the idea of the industry policing itself by a board that applies "recommended" guidelines for parents. I think that's important. Just as I think it's important for the video game industry. And for television.

Specifically speaking, I think the MPAA's policies are bad for film. The arguments against them are varied and well-documented, and my opinion pretty much jibes with most people's arguments, so I won't list them here. But I think it's important to have a system in place that alerts parents to the content of movies.

I pretty much think that the existing system is very, very close to working. I LIKE the different ratings G, PG, PG-13, R & NC-17. As a parent of three, I'm very comfortable with those warnings. But that's all they should be. Warnings. For parents.

I believe there should be movies with unbelievably explicit gore and rampant nudity, swearing out the ass... hell, throw some double anal in there. I don't care. Just rate it NC-17 and be done with it. Don't treat the bigger studios differently than the little guys; don't hold grudges against filmmakers; don't make up your board with hand-chosen members with agendas; don't let MORALITY play into the decisions you make. A board like this needs to be objective and open with their decisions. Don't hide behind your decisions.

Anyway. Can't wait to see THIS FILM IS NOT YET RATED. Should be good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker